This great and versatile game is called Stack Up! by Peaceable Kingdom.
The game comes with a game board, 12 blocks, 12 challenge cards, 2 stack sticks, a Stack Smasher and stand, and a spinner. The gameplay is pretty straightforward: you spin a color and stack a block. The object of the game is to stack all 12 blocks before the Stack Smasher gets to it and knocks it down.
What I love is that it is so easy to modify to target different skills. Some of the skills this game works on include:
- Bilateral integration– using both sides of the body at the same time.
- Fine motor coordination– coordinating smaller muscle groups (wrists, hands, fingers).
- Visual perceptual skills– taking in visual information and making sense of it.
- Visual motor skills– using eyes and body simultaneously to complete a task
- Interpersonal skills– turn-taking, cooperation, social cues, good sportsmanship
- Executive function– higher level cognitive processes including memory, attention, planning
If the game is too difficult, it can be graded down: Simply stacking blocks is a good challenge for someone with visual-motor difficulties. Blocks are so versatile on their own, you can let your imagination run wild!
Regular gameplay too easy? Try playing the game on a platform swing.
If you’re interested in purchasing this game to try with your kids, clients, or students, you can go straight to the Peaceable Kingdom website, or it can be found on Amazon.