Summer is coming to an end, and school has begun for a lot of you. Maybe you’ve started a new school, or just a new routine in general. Having social-emotional skills to cope with these changes is important!
I’ve curated a list of ten books for an end of summer reading list that all focus on social emotional learning (also known as SEL).
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means at zero cost to you, I will earn an affiliate commission if you click through the link and finalize a purchase.
- The Way I Feel : This book is perfect for an introduction to all kinds of emotions.
- Dragon’s Fury : With the help of a boy and his dragon friend, this book teaches healthy coping skills for when you’re feeling angry.
- When Sadness is at your door Introduces the feeling of sadness as a temporary visitor, neither “good” nor “bad”.
- The I’m Not Scared Book A simple picture book that talks all about fear.
- The Magical Yet Teaches about having a growth mindset in the form of a “yet”, for those who get frustrated when learning something new.
- How Do Dinosaurs Stay Friends? A fun book about friendship, perfect for little dinosaur-lovers.
- The Thank You Book A sweet and sometimes silly book that teaches about gratitude.
- My Mouth is a Volcano A story about a boy who can’t stop interrupting. A perfect intro to active listening.
- I Am Enough This book is all about learning positive self-talk.
- Nothing Stays the Same, But That’s Okay is a great book that discusses coping with changes, whether big or small.
Do you have a favorite book from this list? I’d love to know in the comments below!